Sunday, May 1, 2011

get up (and running)

Step 2 in my journey toward fitness is exercise - specifically running. I ran track in high school, but wasn't very good. I am determined to become a runner, or at the very least, a person who can jog as a workout. I'd like to start running for two main reasons:
  1. I think it'd be cool to run a race for a cause (or even just the accomplishment!).
  2. All the people I know who started running were able to lose weight quickly.
That being said, I'm sure you've heard of the Couch Potato to 5K running plan. If you haven't, it's fairly simple. Slowly increase your jogging/running ability through interval training for 8 weeks. I tried it about a year or two ago, but was clearly unsuccessful. Based on my current strategy for fitness combined with the fact that I ran a bit today(!), I think I can be successful.

Here's the link to the Couch Potato to 5K running plan. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

They have a download that you can use to track your progress online, but I don't want to pay for it. So I'll try to do it on my own...I'm looking for 5K's online that are around the 4th of July. Here's a cool website to help find races all around the country: http://www.runningintheusa.com/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment