Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Last Training Session

So this Monday was my last personal training session with Trainer Amy. I did 20 sessions spread out from Jan 18 through March 29th. This was spread out so much due to travel (both of us) and snowpocalypse 2010. So what was the final verdict?

Meh.

I mean at first, I was really excited about the training. But over time, I became underwhelmed. She started throwing more cardio in - which isn't all bad I guess. BUT - when I pay per hr and I spend the first 10, 20 and at one session, 28 minutes doing cardio on machines while she is no where to be seen - well I feel like I'm wasting money. I can do cardio on my own for free...I don't want to waste 1/3 of my session doing just a regular workout on a machine. And she was doing something else. I knew she was having some stuff going on..but you shouldn't be talking to your boyfriend in the gym office while I'm doing cardio during the hour I pay you for. Sorry but you should be standing right next to me. To the last session, she didn't know how fast I walked on the treadmill...because she was rarely around. I think I would have seen much bigger gains if she stuck around, pushed me to a higher level when I needed it, and was better able to assess my abilities.

Some of the other issues - she talked about money too much. About needing more clients, needing to make more money, how upset she was when ppl didn't show up because she lost money, clients that didn't pay, ect. It made me feel weird and I didn't like it. Combined with how I felt I was getting played for my own dollars during the sessions - well it just seemed like a bad deal I was getting. I don't mind paying for a good product...but this one seemed a little like a raw deal over time.

There was a lot of good though - don't let me make it sound all bad. When she was attentive and around, I got my butt kicked GOOD. I sweated it out, burned it off, and felt the pain the next day. I definitely think she knows her stuff - but I think she gets way too distracted, which affects my outcomes.

In general - I'm glad I did it. The benefits were that I have lost body fat, slimmed down, gotten back into a gym routine, and am on my road back to being in shape. I think trainers are excellent for anyone who needs motivation and a regular schedule at the gym, especially beginners. They can help you figure out where to start. Even a 10 session package is awesome. I think I will train again, but probably with a different trainer. Unfortunately, you can't really try ppl out...some of the issues I had with my trainer would never come up in a trial session. But I think that next time, I will ask to speak to some of their clients or try to figure out when they train so I can watch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment